I was making this soup for my family and I knew that I had to share it with you. It is my favorite lentil soup. It involves a lot of chopping but makes a lot of soup. I freeze the leftovers for quick and easy lunch solution. It is more vegetable than lentil and can be given to your children from 8 months old. Cut up the vegetables into pieces smaller than a pea and it is a great food for 10 month olds to practice self-feeding.
Lentil vegetable soup
(Adapted from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook)
3 large onions, chopped
2 leeks, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ c olive oil
1-2 tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1TBSP fresh thyme, minced (or 1 tsp dried)
1 tsp cumin
3 c diced celery
3 c diced carrots
2 lt chicken or vegetable stock (MSG free)
¼ c tomato paste
2 TBSP red wine vinegar
1. boil lentils for 15 minutes, drain off water
2. In a large soup pot saute onion, leeks and garlic with olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme and cumin on medium heat for about 20 minutes (until tender)
3. Add celery and carrots and saute 10 minutes more
4. Add stock, tomato paste and lentils.
5. Bring to a boil
6. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 1 hour
7. Adjust the seasoning and add the vinegar.
8. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil.